Tuesday, November 3, 2009

We're surrounded!!

Sarah has been working with my father to finish up her hours for nursing this year. So, I do school with Isaac in the morning while Silas entertains Madeline and then we go on an adventure. Missouri has developed some amazing parks. One of them is Prarie State Park, home of harriers, 200 Plains Bison, Rocky Mt. Elk, a saddly dwindling flock of Prarie Chickens (from 67 down to 6 in 15 years), and many other wonderful plants and animals. I have often loved visiting this place.
On this particular trip, the ranger said the buffalo were on the road just north of the center and I should take the kids to see them, "stay in the car though." No worries there. As we neared the animals who were on both sides of the road, we saw calves nursing their mothers. I was keeping my eyes out for the bull, when just as we were passing through the herd (about 25 animals in this herd) he stepped out onto the road, walked halfway across and stopped. He turned his head and looked at me. At that moment, a cow came up out of the ditch where she had been drinking and walked behind us. A cow, about five feet from my window looked into our car. The band of nursing mothers were on the right. We were surrounded.
After the bull got his full gaze, he sauntered into the prarie and we continued on our way. What an amazing gift from God to see these good friends so close and with such majesty.
NOTE: I didn't have our camera, the picture above looks an awful lot like the bull we saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment